As for "the plan", since I've got only 8 weeks (yes it *seems* long but is actually not!), it goes something like this (key points at least)
Week 1 (ending today) - inform staff of upcoming "one-on-one" session in week 2. I thought it'd be kinda weird (to my staff at least) for me to just jump in and start right away. This is a subtle and informal "something's coming" for next week. Great, I can tie this in with the year-end KPIs which are up for review around this time anyway.
Week 2 (ending 19 Dec) - Coaching Session 1. Since I have 2 direct reports, I'll do coaching with both of them. It'd again, be kinda weird if I only had one particular staff be in my room every now and then for "one-on-one" sessions. Furthermore, to become a coach is about being sincere in wanting to help others bring out the best in themselves, right? Why limit it to just one person then?
Week 3 (ending 26 Dec) - Free, everyone will be in holiday mood
Week 4 (ending 2 Jan) - originally wanted to slot in Coaching Session 2 here, but again - holiday mood and festive season!
Week 5 (ending 9 Jan) - Coaching Session 2.
Week 6 (ending 16 Jan) - Free.
Week 7 (ending 23 Jan) - Coaching Session 3.
Week 8 (ending 30 Jan) - report submission.
Well, that's the "plan", and we'll see how it gets executed. The "free" weeks are there just-in-case. Hope I can make this work. While there was a lot of practice during the training session, the crowd there (at training) and the crowd here (direct reports) are very, very different. Not being skeptical, just being myself :)