Friday, December 12, 2008

It has begun...

Just had my "5 minute intro" sessions with my 2 direct reports. After quickly reviewing their KPI achivements for the year... I told them that for 2009, I'd be taking a slightly different approach. I'd be including sessions to "explore how to help you achieve your aspirations of where you see yourself in the next 2 years or so".

After blabbering about 2008's KPI quick review (hey...it wasn't a "con" ok... just a "convenient coincidence") - the "coaching intro" started off with a basic "coaching-style" open-ended question.... "where do you see yourself in the next 2 years?". It was interesting to observe that the staff took this opportunity to express their views on what they wanted to do to enrich themselves at the workplace. Yes, coaching is basically to address "what do you want to do - and let's see how we can do it"... and in an "instructive environment", this rarely happens (it's always what the BOSS wants). Interestingly enough, I had received some good suggestions and ideas which would help enrich the staff's work experience and exposure. My Administration Assistant (a non-executive employee) - who is normally tasked with doing mundane routine things like processing claims, payments, scheduling appointments and meetings - actually asked to be involved in a specific multi-million RM project that is to be implemented groupwide. You go girl!

Not wanting to "jump into it (the actual coaching) too quickly" (as per my previous post) - the "coaching intro" stopped there. The intention of the "intro session" was to get the buy-in /acceptance from my 2 direct reports to participate in this initiative (to be coached, although the term/word was never used). The response was positive. Both said "yes".

I guess the "selling point" was when I mentioned that we were going to explore above and beyond mere KPIs (which is what I, representing the company, wants and expects of them) - and look into what they aspire to be (what they want) - and how I could help them explore ways and means of getting there.

The keyword here to me, is "explore". It's less-imposing, and at the same time non-committal (which may be viewed negatively though) - but I made it a point to clearly state that these "exploration sessions" of at least once a month - would not entail me pointing out to them what to do, as the KPIs already have these clearly stated. So at least that's out of the way from "day one". And I'm pretty darned pleased that it went well... :)

For the "real sessions" wihch will be held next week - the exploration will continue. All I wanted to know today was if they were willing to agree. Mission accomplished.

Just have to consciously remind myself that the "missions" to be accomplished from next week onwards, aren't mine - but theirs. No expectations - simple as that. If not, it wouldn't be coaching, and I wouldn't have changed in my ways :)