Saturday, August 16, 2008

So it has been decided...

Ok - I've decided to do up my report based on what UET is basically doing for a living - from an "overall, big picture perspective". It's more than just the currently-popular (that being positive or negative!) NEURON project. Let's look at the overall change initiative that UET is bringing for the Group. We're looking at a total revamp of the way things (technology) are done throughout the group - through consolidation, integration, rationalization, and standardization.

In writing my report - I'm thinking that it'd be quite tricky since not only am I going "high-level", the actual change initiative has already taken place for more than a year already. So my report would likely be "past-present-and future" in its scope. Anyway, I think this is doable.

Firstly - in looking at the type of change - I'd say it's developmental, mainly because we're looking at ways to to create an improvement in the way things are done (technologically). It's not like we're looking at something ultra-drastic like shutting down or selling off companies (that's not our area anway - we have to work within out means). But then again, such a change could also be transitional, as we change the "design" in how technology is implemented in the group.

And what exactly is this change all about? *taking a deep breath* Here we go....

We're looking at centralizing "commonalized" (if there's such a word) ICT activities and processes, such as operating all the common business applications that affect all companies in the Group. Your typical HRMS, your typical financial system, etc, etc. Yes, some may argue that each is designed specifically to each company's needs and operations - but come on, there are many that can be commonalized! Accounting entries are still accounting entries, leave application is still leave application - no matter which Group company this is being done at. Business processes different? I think not! At least they shoudn't be for common functions (ok, for operational functions, those should be unique) - we are a Group of companies - therefore there should be a high degree of standardization, right? Ok - so we didn't grow organically, but instead through acquisition - which included the inheritance of vary many different systems which came with each company. If we look at dissecting these systems to their functional roles, there's a lot that can be shared - instead of invested and operated separately.

This big picture view of what UET is doing - will need to be dissected into bite-sized pieces for the report to be "swallowable". I'm just afraid that I'll go on an endless rant as I usually do... everyone hates it when I start writing... no end in sight! *lol*

Let's see how it turns out....